Google‘s journalism program, Google News Initiative, will be hosting University Verification Workshops for free starting May 24 up to June 9, 2021.
Google News Initiative (GNI)’s workshop will be about verification principles. This includes the misinformation landscape, geolocation, examining sources, and fact-checking ethics.
Brought together through partnerships across Asia, the workshop will feature GNI-certified trainers and open-source investigation specialist Eoghan Sweeney. Eoghan Sweeney is a Berlin-based media consultant known for developing verification and fact-checking operations for media companies in Hong Kong and Germany.
The workshops will begin on these dates at 6:00 PM Manila time:
- May 24, 2021: Online info 101. The anatomy of false information online, techniques used to create and spread it, and motivations of those doing so.
- May 26, 2021: Confirm or debunk. Checking for context, corroboration, and visual clues.
- May 31, 2021: Digging deep for info. Techniques and workflows to search effectively for information while conducting fact checks.
- June 2, 2021: Source analysis. Examining sources for analysis and investigation and for obtaining contact details.
- June 7, 2021: Where and when. Essentials of geolocation through mapping platforms and determining dates and times through visual clues.
- June 9, 2021: Ethics of online investigation. Avoiding pitfalls in gathering and using information.
Journalists, fact-checkers, students can register here. Registration is ongoing until May 21, 2021.