Based on Kaspersky’s data from January to March 2022, Filipino children are highly interested in video content nowadays. Statistically, children spend the most time on YouTube (26.46%), TikTok (16.75%), Messenger (16.07%), and the popular game Roblox (13.67%), and Facebook (9.11%).
Other apps on the list that Pinoy kids spend the most time in include the Chrome browser (6.39%), YouTube Kids (3.54%), Netflix (3.08%), the first-person shooter game Call of Duty (2.56%), and the mobile online battle arena (MOBA) game Mobile Legends: Bang Bang (2.37%).
These anonymized data were gathered and reviewed from search queries, the most popular Android applications, and website categories provided voluntarily by Kaspersky Safe Kids users to explore the most popular children’s interests that would help parents understand their children better on their current favorite subjects and passions.
Kaspersky Safe Kids is a module and a standalone multiplatform among Kaspersky’s various products that offer protection for children from undesirable content. Every year, anonymous data gathered from Kaspersky Safe Kids is analyzed to find out the interests of the children and how they are adapting to the digital world.
“As one of the world’s most active digital citizens, it is no surprise that the Filipino children are enthusiastic explorers of the digital world themselves. We encourage parents to stay informed and commit to sitting down with their kids extensively as it’s an effective way to keep their children responsible and safe digital citizens,” said Sandra Lee, Managing Director for Asia Pacific at Kaspersky.
Globally, YouTube still ranked first at 31.6% followed by TikTok at 19%, WhatsApp at 18%, Roblox (7.5%) and Chrome closes the top five (7.3%) for kids.
From the statistics of children’s requests in Kaspersky Safe Kids, among the images that emerged were:
- Naruto – chronicles the life of a noisy and restless teenage ninja.
- My Hero Academia – a boy born without superpowers in a world where superpowers have become commonplace, but who still dreams of becoming a hero.
- Sssniperwolf – a popular blogger who shoots entertaining content on a variety of topics, focusing on humorous sketches or challenges.
- Nikocado Avocado – calls himself the “King of the Mukbangs”. Mukbang is a style of video where the blogger eats a lot of food in front of the camera and chats with viewers. It may seem strange at first, but such sessions often discuss popular news or high-profile topics.
- Piper Rockelle – lives in Hollywood and shoots various entertainment content, challenges, and talks about her life.
- Michou – is a popular French blogger who films a wide variety of entertainment content. These can be reactions to other videos, pranks, various joint viewing of programs, and other options.
- Brent Rivera – shoots a variety of content, such as pranks, experiments or challenges, stories about his life, as well as different collaborations with other bloggers.
DIY (do it yourself)
- 5-Minute Craft – a channel with a large number of subscribers (76.3 million). It’s a compilation of videos explaining how users can create almost anything with their own hands —from fixing a tap in the kitchen to sewing clothes for dolls or ways to have fun with science.
- Geometry Dash – a popular 2D computer game that consists of passing a level with many obstacles to rhythmic music. Apart from the built-in levels, players can create their own and upload them for other players to complete.
- Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell – a YouTube channel explaining science and the world we live in with the fun and interesting graphics.
- MrBeast – a popular gaming blogger with almost 93.6 million subscribers on YouTube, credited with pioneering a genre of YT videos that centers on expensive stunts. Now the content is mostly entertainment.
- Minecraft – one of the most popular games among children because it’s very simple – the players are in a simple three-dimensional world and can build freely, creating complex structures from these cubes.
- Roblox is an online multiplayer platform that allows users to play games they have created as well as games from other users. The platform features user-created games and virtual worlds, ranging from traditional racing and role-playing games (RPGs) to simulations and obstacle courses.
- Brawls Stars – a multiplayer game that aims to advance along the gaming trophy road, participate in battles with other players, as well as discover and improve new playable characters with unique abilities and characteristics.
- “Animation memes” are the most popular meme requests among kids. They are typically short animations of a character dancing or sometimes singing along to music with the intent to be spread or repeated by other animators with their own characters. Some examples can be found here, here, and here.
- Beluga cat