DITO Telecommunity, the supposed third telco player in the Philippines, might delay its full rollout once again.
This became apparent after the virtual Senate hearing of the committee on public services headed by Senator Grace Poe yesterday (July 1).
Adel Tamano, chief administrative officer at DITO, said that the company is currently building 1,300 cell towers, 300 of which are now operating.
Considering DITO’s technical launch deadline, the present total is still far behind from the company’s promised 2,500 cell towers by July 8, 2020.
If DITO fails to meet its target on the said date, it means that it will have to request another grace period from the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT).
Apparently, the company had already spent one of the two grace periods that it has.
“Once the company hits strike three, the government can forfeit on its favor the P25.7-billion performance bond DITO paid before construction activities, a sizable amount meant to prompt the China-backed firm to fulfill its commitments on time,” warned former DICT Undersecretary Eliseo Rio, Jr.