Kaspersky issued its Q2 2021 mobile threat report that reveals a 60% increase in mobile banking Trojan attacks in Southeast Asia (SEA).
Cybercriminals used online banking Trojans (bankers) to steal funds directly from mobile bank accounts. These programs would look like legitimate financial apps but entering account credentials allows attackers access to the encoded information.
Indonesia and Vietnam logged the most number of incidents during the first half of the year. But these countries are not listed as among the top 10 countries affected by the threat worldwide. The top five countries with the most mobile banking Trojan detections in the same quarter are Russia, Japan, Turkey, Germany, and France.
This tells that online banking Trojans in SEA are comparatively low. However, the continuing pandemic forces users to start using mobile payment systems without little to no application of security, potentially opening to more victims.
Users are wary of the security risks posed in conducting financial transactions online (69%). Some (42%) fear someone accessing their financial details through their devices. However, there remains a gap between knowing and acting upon it.
For this reason, Kaspersky is offering these tips and tricks to beef up money safety online:
- Get a temporary credit card: as another level of security for safe online shopping, you can use a temporary credit card to make online purchases in place of your regular credit card. Ask your credit card company if you can be issued a temporary credit card number. If a temporary credit card is not possible, use an alternative credit card with a low credit limit.
- Dedicate a computer to online banking and shopping: have a second computer dedicated to online banking and shopping only. It removes all risks from an all-purpose computer that can come with viruses or malware. For added security for safe online shopping, install Google Chrome with forced HTTPS, which ensures you only visit secure websites.
- Use a dedicated email address: create an email address that you will use only for online shopping. This will severely limit the number of spam messages you receive and significantly reduce the risk of opening potentially malicious emails that are disguised as sales promotions or other notifications.
- Manage and protect your online passwords: using strong passwords and using a different password for each online account is one of the most important things you can do for safe online shopping. Manage your passwords with a password manager to aid you in keeping solid passwords for multiple accounts.
- Use a VPN: If you absolutely must shop online while using public Wi-Fi, first install a virtual private network. A VPN will encrypt all data transferred between your devices and the VPN server, preventing hackers from hijacking and viewing any sensitive data you input.
In the Philippines, Kaspersky has endpoint solutions like Kaspersky Total Security (KTS) with a password manager and VPN features. Moreover, enjoy a 50% discount now via its 9.9 promos in Shopee and Lazada.